Monday, November 17, 2008

I Didn't Get Elected President


The one really surprising fact about the US presidential election is how few people voted for me.

After all, I have international experience, having lived in Canada since 1990. And I know more about economics than John McCain, and more about geography than Sarah Palin. Why not me?

I've been training for the job since 1963. In the photo, that's me in the White House cabinet room, waiting for the rest of the cabinet to assemble for our meeting. I was only 5 at the time, but they still gave me the seat of honor.

[My father knew Myer Feldman, the deputy special counsel to President Kennedy, because they both grew up in Philadelphia, so we got a special tour of the White House on May 11, 1963. Kennedy was away in Massachusetts meeting with the Prime Minister of Canada, so we didn't get to meet him.]

5 comments:

Larry Moran said...

After all, I have international experience, having lived in Canada since 1990.

That's the problem. Don't you get it?

Living in Canada counts against you. It would have been all right if you lived in Buffalo where you could see Canada from your window.

Besides, I think you have one other strike against you. You are an atheist.

Give up your dream of becoming President. Swear allegiance to Liz and Charlie and become Canadian.

Takis Konstantopoulos said...

Indeed, unless you are ready to say "god bless" every time you breathe, you won't have a chance to become a president. Atheists (or "don't-care-ists" like me) have no chance. Incidentally, the Bush of the UK, i.e. Tony Blair is trying to get a piece of the american cake while teaching religion at Yale.

Anonymous said...

Aww! What a cute picture!

Well, there is that pesky little matter of you not being an American citizen. But hey, if I'd known you were interested in running, I'd have written you in anyway. You need to give advance warning next time! ;)

Jeffrey Shallit said...

Amy:

But I am an American citizen. I just live in Canada.

Anonymous said...

Now I really feel terrible. Will you be running again in 2012? If so, you will have my vote.

My teenager is reading over my shoulder and pointing out that by 2012 he'll be of voting age as well. (Oh, scary, scary thought!) I guess that means you can count on two votes now. ;)