Monday, April 19, 2010

Boston Marathon!

The Boston Marathon went by on Commonwealth Avenue, just a few blocks away from where I'm living in Newton. We watched at about mile 20 of the course, at the start of the infamous Newton hills, the most famous of which is called "Heartbreak Hill".

Here are a few pictures:



Above: Teyba Erkesso, the top woman finisher, from Ethiopia, all alone with a very substantial lead near mile 20. She would fade and still win, but only by a few seconds.



Above: Robert Cheruiyot (#6) and Deriba Merga (#1) duelling near mile 20. Cheruiyot would win in 2:05:52, a minute and a half ahead of his nearest competitor.



Wheelchair marathoners near mile 20: In the front, from left to right: Kota Hokinoue of Japan (finished 3rd); Soejima Masazumi of Japan (finished 4th); Ernst van Dyk of South Africa (the winner). In the back: Roger Puigbo of Spain (finished 5th) and Kriga Schabort of the USA (finished 2nd).

11 comments:

Miranda said...

"Hearbreak Hill"

It's a deafening hill, for sure. Heh.

Unknown said...

Nice! I'm tracking my girlfriend online who is running it for the first time. Looks like a great day.

Cheruiyot's incredible 2:05 finish time sets a new course record, beating the one he set back in 2007.

Miranda said...

The four minute mile was once considered impossible. Do you have an opinion about the 2 hour marathon?

Bayesian Bouffant, FCD said...

During NPR coverage of the volcano-inflicted travel shutdown in Europe, they interviewed someone who was unable to fly to Boston for the marathon. I wonder if any of the top competitors failed to participate for such reasons.

John Farrell said...

Excellent pics!

Anonymous said...

Norm Olsen said...

Nice! I'm tracking my girlfriend online who is running it for the first time. Looks like a great day.

Cheruiyot's incredible 2:05 finish time sets a new course record, beating the one he set back in 2007.


It's actually a different Robert Cheruiyot who set the previous course record.

Miranda said...

I suppose you can leave in that typo if you want...

Unknown said...

Right, thanks for the correction Anonymous.

Robert Kipkoech Cheruiyot was the previous record holder and Robert Kiprono Cheruiyot holds the new record from this year.

Miranda said...

I guess you can't "hear" what I'm trying to say in my last two comments.

Jeffrey Shallit said...

Thanks for the correction, Miranda. I was pretty busy for the last week.

Anonymous said...

Congrats! to all who ran. As I browsed through the pictures (in several websites) I cam accross one picture that I can't seem to locate, but it has been in my mind since then. It is an inspiration. The picture is of a man (amputee) dress with a red outfit (shorts and tank top), strong upper body. If you have seen his picture please let me know.flr